Date:
Mon, 3 Sep 2001 10:13:54 -0400
Well, I suppose that is why those Virginians fought for the North.
They considered themselves Americans rather than Virginians and they
probably also espoused the causes of the North rather than the South.
Nevertheless, I believe that many Southerners were extremely patriotic about
their individual states and, in fact, saw themselves and felt themselves to
be "Virginians" first; "North Carolinians" first;
"South Carolinians" first, etc.
I would also like to make the point that in some ways these philosophical
and political battles are still being fought.
Today, Americans in every state of the Union are now fighting the idea of an
over-big, gargantuan, ravenous, "morbidly obese", centralized government
that is over regulating and over taxing its citizenry.
In other words, States' Rights is still an issue.
Those issues, I think, were the crux of the Civil War.
To the folks out there who disagree with me, please do not tell me that the
reflections and memories of my four, Un-Reconstructed Southern grandparents
were the rantings and ravings of some old bigots.  Their beliefs had
absolutely nothing to do with the issues of slavery and they were not
racists.
What some of you (notably  you liberal, college professors) call
'propaganda', others might call a primary source.
The reason I keep mentioning my grandparents at this site dedicated to
Virginia history is because I want to give them a voice in these matters.
They lived through the times being discussed and they were hardly alone in
what they thought and believed in.......and believed in strongly enough to
go to war and fight for.
Deane Ferguson Mills
A 13th generation Tidewater Virginian!