Date:
Sat, 17 May 2008 07:02:20 EDT
You may recall that Henry VIII never consummated his marriage to Anne of
Cleves (the daughter of the German Emperor) because, as he reportedly told
Cromwell, she "smelled of the stable."

Intentional lack of personal hygiene was a common form of  contraception in
England during medieval and later times.  See, The Family,  Sex and Marriage In
England 1500-1800, by Lawrence Stone (Harper 1979).  It  seems to have been
an effective tool vis-a-vis those of British heritage.

If slaves were worked to death, 16 hours a day, with barely time to rest at
night, and their quarters were as unsanitary and filthy as contemporary
reports  claim, there is no doubt that your average black indentured servant was no
joy  to be around.  Nevertheless, Ms. Hemmings seemed to pop out  babies from
among her "homies" in the slave population left and right,  not apparently
knowing exactly who the fathers were in most cases.

A fit paramour for the middle-aged TJ.....I doubt it and there is no  factual
evidence to definitively prove otherwise.  Yet, apparently the  Virginia
public school system sees fit to allow its youth to be taught about  TJ's
parentage, probably in greater detail than what he really meant to the  Commonwealth
and the US.

I am no huge fan of Jefferson.  His figurative "wall of  separation" letter,
penned 13 years after Congress wrote the Establishment  Clause (something
Jefferson had absolutely nothing to do with drafting) was the  basis for the
Supreme Court leading us down the road of banning school prayer  and a myriad of
other Constitutionally bankrupt interpretations  of the First Amendment.  So, as
far as I am concerned, there might not  have been a "wall of separation"
between Ms. Hemmings and he.    However, without definitive factual proof, that
allegation should not be made as  if "everyone who has any brains" knows it to
be true.

Frankly, even I am tiring of this line of debate.

JD Southmayd a/k/a J South

In a message dated 5/16/2008 10:45:01 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,