From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 2008 21:51:00 -0400
Tom,

You and Kathleen seem to have read or assumed something in one of my posts
that was not intended. I said I was not a researcher - I did NOT say I
didn't do research. Most of the folks who've been on this list awhile have
seen me in research mode for my stories, if they involve Virginians, or
Famous Americans, if they are Virginians. Books I get online and searches I
can do online are how I research these days since I can no longer get to a
decent library. So, I really do not need to be schooled in "research". As I
have said before, if you want to see how I teach or "do research" check out
my work on my website and stop making assumptions that are both in error and
most irritating.

I really do not see the oral histories of the Heming's family as "opinion"
or "guesswork". I see it as another story in history to be examined in the
same way we examine all other stories in history - written or spoken. No
more and no less.
The DNA evidence that one of Hemings children was fathered by a Jefferson
male moves us closer to establishing the fact that those oral histories are
true. And, if Thomas was not the father, but some other male of the
Jefferson line, then we have to question the morality of a man who gives his
maid to his relatives and visitors. In my mind, Thomas is more honorable to
have fathered the children himself.

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert