From:
"George M. Williams" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Mar 2011 22:31:48 -0500
The South Branch of the Potomac was used in the Spring when the waters were
at higher levels to ship  barrels of flouer to Alexandria, the boats/barges
were built in the Moorefield area, but were not returned.

You might try Elizabeth Oliver Lee "Potomac's Valley shall become a domain
we Create" Commercialialism and the South Branch Valley 1750-1800,
,Dissertation, History Department,West Virginia University, 2008,

George M. Williams