From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 18:59:05 -0500
Thanks to John, Alyson, and Gail,

         The brochure on African American history of the city is on it's
way in the mail. The Department of Tourism says there is nothing official
planned for Black History Month, and even the usual ceremony at the Martin
Luther King bridge is off this year because of construction.

         But the most exciting information was on

The Virginia Foundation for the Humanities' excellent African American
Heritage Trails project has collected information on hundreds of historic
sites and compiled it into a searchable database.  The database and info on
the project and its resources are available at www.virginia.edu/vfh.

         From this website I learned about a lot of places in Petersburg
and the surrounding area which we can find on maps and write for
literature. A good start on plans for next month.

         It was fascinating to learn that Joseph Jenkins Roberts, a
shipping merchant from Petersburg who moved to Liberia in 1829 was the
first President of Liberia in 1848-55 ... Perhaps I can find some
biographical info on him and add him to my "Famous Americans" site....

         Thanks for all the help folks,

                         Anne

Anne Pemberton

http://www.erols.com/stevepem