From:
Nathan Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2007 15:47:13 -0700
"The odds of being descended from the latter [indentured servants and convicts] are far greater than the
odds of being descended from the former [original settlers].  This is almost as true for
African-Americans as it is for European-Americans."

It has been my observation, in talking about this subject to people who are researching their families trees, that they are unaware that they descend from these unfree immigrants. Harold is right though, surviving passenger departure lists for English ports show that about 75% of the passengers were under indenture, both early on in the 1630s and at the end of the colonial period in the 1770s. Sources: Bernard Bailyn Voyagers to the West: A Passage in the Peopling of America on the Eve of the Revolution. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1986 and Alison Games. Migration and the Origins of the English Atlantic World. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 1999.

It is my hope that projects such as Virtual Jamestown, Virginia Runaways, and now the Immigrant Servants Database can stimulate more interest among genealogists in tracing these folks.

Nathan W. Murphy, MA, AGŪ
Researcher and Marketing Director
Price & Associates, Inc.
http://www.pricegen.com