From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2008 11:16:59 -0400
3-Notched Road and 3-Chopt Road are all basically Rt. 250/Broad Street
from Richmond to Charlottesville. The VA Highway and Transportation
Research Council in Charlottesville (VDOT's think tank) had folks who
traced the route and wrote it up. Pawlett, Nathaniel Mason & Howard M.
Newlon The Route of the Three Notch'd Road: A Preliminary Report
Virginia Highway & Transportation Dept. 1976 Spiral bound Black &
white photographs.

As to the question, looking at the maps, the first leg is ambiguous as
to whether it began where Deep Run crosses Broad or farther down Deep
Run, but assuming that crossing, it would go along the road to Little
Tuckahoe Creek and up the county boundary to the Chickahominy and down
to Michams Lick. There are 3 watercourses feeding the Chickahominy in
that vicinity: Allens Branch, Rooty Branch and Meredith Branch. An
Allen had property along Rt. 250 in the 18th century according to Tom
Bannister's platting of the Henrico patents. It was where the
interchange for I-64 and Short Pump is located and then a bit west
along Rt. 250 so I'd suggest the tavern was in the greater Short Pump
area.

Lyle Browning