From:
"S. Corneliussen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2008 06:37:53 -0400
I have appreciated Professor Hardwick's postings -- the first was an essay,
really, and I thought a good one -- and I'm grateful that he has now
reiterated that there's an important distinction between what's proven
scientifically and what's interpreted historically.

Below he's answering Henry Wiencek's message that began "Corneliussen,
Hardwick, and Herb Barger all mention the possibility that a slave with the
Jefferson DNA could have fathered Sally Hemings's children." I believe it's
fair to say that -- or maybe I mean, to charge that -- I started, or
restarted, the Hemings-TJ discussion by answering Mr. Wiencek's original
message announcing the Jefferson discussion on BookTV. Before I get too
closely identified with what Mr. Wiencek calls Jefferson defense, I'd like
to reiterate something too:

Although I'm of course interested in the paternity Answer if anybody can
supply it, I myself remain a paternity agnostic. What I actually study in
this debate is not paternity theories but what I call Hemings-Jefferson
science abuse, of which there has been plenty.

It was not historians but people representing science itself who started the
misunderstandings about the DNA and who, in the matter of the conceptions
coincidences at Monticello, misused statistics to invoke the special
authority of science for what is only an unquantifiable historical
interpretation.

That makes Hemings-Jefferson science abuse all the more important, I
believe, to monitor and to oppose -- not just because the paternity question
is important, and not just because historical evidence requires respect even
when it also happens to be scientific, but also because the special
authority of science is important in public discussions generally. On
questions ranging from the food-energy-pollution tradeoffs in biofuel
production to the efficacy of pharmaceuticals, science's special authority
matters.

Scientific proof is of a different character than even the best historical
interpretation. In my view that distinction requires more respect than it
has sometimes received in the Hemings-TJ debate.

Thanks very much.

Steve Corneliussen