From:
Melinda Skinner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2007 12:07:29 +0000
On reading some of the WPA narratives of former slaves who recalled their enslaved lives fondly, I thought of the people in the Soviet Union who, after its break-up and the end of the communist regime, were devastated and wanted to go back to the way things had been.  It was difficult for some of them to know how to live within the new "freedom."  Surely, it would be hard to adjust to being responsible for everything after living your entire life as the property/ward of the master/state.  If your master had not been cruel, it may not have seemed so bad when you looked back with the perspective of trying to make it in a difficult, racist world.

--
Melinda C. P. Skinner
Richmond, VA

From: Henry Wiencek <[log in to unmask]>