From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2006 06:30:22 -0500
Thanks to M. Jelmer Vos, I have found out that a document by Japskise

Resolutien der Staten-Generaal van 1576 tot 1609

apparently contains information about ships from the Netherlands sailing to Jamestown in its early days.  But Bummer.... the one site that appeared to offer some hope said that I could not sign on because I am not affiliated with a member institution.  But that begs my question. (Not to mention that everything is apparently in Dutch and although I have been told by a neighbor from the Netherlands that my rendition of "Wilhemus van Nassau" is really quite good, I run out of gas at the end of the first verse.)

Has anybody picked through that document (and other related ones) in an effort to find ANY ships that arrived at Jamestowne in the very early days?  Given the dearth of such information, it looks like to me there is gold (or at least a good Vita entry) for somebody to produce such a treatise.

Randy Cabell