From:
John Kneebone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Kneebone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 2015 09:59:48 -0400
Everyone,

Please note the words "free" and "snacks" at the end:

VCU African American Studies Spring Lecture Series presents Adam Ewing, speaking on “The Rise, Fall, and Continuing Relevance of Marcus Garvey."

Adam Ewing is a member of the faculty in the African American Studies Department at VCU and a very nice and very smart fellow.

In the early 20th century, the pan-Africanist philosophy of Marcus Garvey was so influential that elites on four continents conspired to undermine his message of “Africa for the Africans.”  Today, Garveyism is marginalized from being a serious subject of academic inquiry. It is only a footnote in mainstream narratives of African American and global history. This talk will chart the spread and significance of Garveyism, offering an opportunity to recover an important political project and to rethink the stories through which we understand our past.

There was a chapter of Garvey’s United Negro Improvement Association in Richmond in the 1920s, and lawyer James Harrison, in Norfolk, was a Garvey supporter. I am sure that Garvey’s influence could be found elsewhere in Virginia then.

Monday, March 23rd
@The Depot
Depot Studio, 2nd Floor
814 W. Broad St.
12:30 - 2pm

This event is open to the public and there will be snacks.

John T. Kneebone
5107 Caledonia Road
Richmond, VA 23225
804-231-1774