From:
"Grundset, Eric" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 12:45:47 -0400
A couple of months ago, there was an inquiry about "birthnight" celebrations
in colonial Virginia. I don't recall who asked about them.

Today, while looking for something else in Virginia Cavalcade, vol. II, no.
4 (Spring 1953), I ran across the following article by Elizabeth Dabney
Coleman: "Long Live the King! Royal Accessions and Birthdays were Celebrated
Heartily in Colonial Virginia." (pages 5-7).

On page 6 is the following statement:

"The whole town of Williamsburg was illuminated in 1752 on the anniversary
of the birthnight of King George II."

This is followed by a description of the festivities and some more
information on related customs and practices. Hope that helps whomever was
looking for something on this topic.

Eric G. Grundset
Library Director
DAR Library