From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2007 06:13:25 -0500
I recall in the 1930's that this was the story in the Alleghany County
Public Schools (Covington, VA), but I think that I heard it only when my
parents were discussing it.

As I recall, it was something that grew out of the Depression and somebody
(the mysterious "They") wanted to try to spread jobs around to families
rather than have two breadwinners in a single family.

On the eve of WWII, I was in the Virginia Beach public schools, and I think
that some of my teachers were married.  Later in the Norfolk public schools
and likewise.  Of course at that tender age, all teachers were "Miz" so that
was not a clue.

Randy Cabell