From:
Ronald Seagrave <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ronald Seagrave <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jul 2011 16:17:53 -0400
An interesting point, certainly further research is required here. “In 1740, the Virginia General Assembly gave the power to William Meriwether and three other "Justices of Hanover" to build a bridge 12 ft. wide from Newcastle over the Pamunkey to King William County—the first bridge to span a tidal river in the thirteen American colonies.” Given the number of references of these two towns in the Virginia Gazette they were both of some note. I’m surprised so little has been written about town that was once two votes short of becoming Virginia's capital, that no longer exists. I'm espically interested in the fact that James Geddy II, silversmith, of Williamsburg, consigned his silver wares to Benneth White at his tavern there at Newcastle  and gave notice of such in the gazette, on August 1, 1766, offering, “Any work to be repaired, or new made, by applying and giving directions to Mr. White, may be had at eight or ten days notice.” And being a distance of nearly fifty miles between,

Ron Seagrave