From:
Karen Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2007 17:53:47 -0400
The problem with digitizing old Virginia Cavalcade articles is not so much
technical, as it is a rights management issue.  When authors sought
permission to publish the glorious illustrations that accompanied so many
Cavalcade articles, rights holders granted permission for one-time use in a
*print* publication.

Subsequent uses, including reprints or new editions, generally require a new
request, along with whatever fees or conditions apply today.  The research
time to secure those clearances would be a nightmare.  Alas, I loved the
Cavalcade.

Karen Stuart

On 9/29/07, Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:So how about
digitizing some of the articles from the old cavalcades?  Given some
standards, and a bit of quality control, I bet there are a lot of folks like
me out there in VA-HIST lland who would volunteer to do that.