Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2008 22:14:06 -0600
To supplement prior discussion, it now seems likely that some conclusions of
Fogel & Engerman will be 'supplanted' based on the most recent research:

http://www.uc3m.es/uc3m/dpto/HISEC/seminarios/documents/SpainJune2007.pdf
(2007 ongoing)

This concerns _A New View of Antebellum Southern Productivity Growth_ by
Alan L. Olmstead and Paul W. Rhode, June 2007, a working paper circulated to
invite discussion and critical comment while research continues toward final
conclusions and publication.
This research is supported by National Science Foundation Collaborative
Research Grants, "Seeds and Slaves: Technological Change, Plantation
Efficiency, and Southern Economic Development" SES-0550913 and SES-0551130.

'Conclusions' are on page 45 of the hyperlinked paper that, in part, address
how cotton planters and others analyzed and cross-bred Mexican hybrid cotton
seeds to result in 'greatly' increasing cotton harvests and efficiency
factors, likely surpassing results of the reaper implementation on grain
harvesting in the antebellum era (that accounted for up to 100% efficiency
increases.)  Furthermore, that the total impact of the Mexican hybrids was
likely extended even more from the very positive effects on cotton yields
and quality (neither were improved by the reaper), and that the easier
picking cotton varieties helped smooth out peak labor demands such that
labor hours needed for the harvest more closely approximated those needed
for non-harvest tasks. This led to quieting the often-heard comment during
the early 1800's that Southern farmers planted more cotton than they could
pick (via slave labor.)

Interesting that such 'new' knowledge is being 'harvested' from 19th century
records...

Neil McDonald