From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jun 2005 19:52:18 GMT
Brent,
You are right, he does have records in the Virginia State Navy, as does his brother. He also left pension files, and documents when he appeared before the House of Representatives. However, I did not understand (until now), that Seamen was a rank within the Navy. I also did not understand, that he probably joined the Naval Services before the Revolutionary War. That may be why he stated in his pension file, that he was on the Page Galley, and then joined the Naval Forces. I have been telling his story, as if he joined the Navy after the Revolutionary War, but this may not be the case.

Everyone on this list has been so helpful. I am a novice when it comes to Military matters (especially with the Navy), and this has been very educational.

Thank you all sooo much.

Anita Wills

-- Brent Tarter <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
During the Revolutionary War, the state of Virginia had its own navy, as
I think several other states did. So the man served for a time early in
the war in the Virignia Navy and later in the United States Navy,
suggesting that Virginia state naval records and pension documents may
contain information about him, too.

Brent Tarter
The Library of Virginia

Visit the Library of Virginia's web site at http://www.lva.lib.va.us