From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 07:31:25 EDT
In a message dated 4/16/01 7:16:26 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<<
 In fact, free blacks in urban situations were quite well off before
 the Civil War. After emancipation, urban black populations suffered a
 terrible decline in wealth and status. The reasons for this decline
 are complex, but they include an influx of unskilled rural ex-slaves,
 a glutted labor market, and a dilution of black status.

I have been on the list only a few months, so I don't know how recently you
have mentioned here the University of Virginia's "Valley of the Shadows"
project which provides data and analysis comparing a Pennsylvania County
(Franklin)  and a Virginia County (Augusta)  before, during and after the
Civil War.   The two counties were chosen for their demographic similarities,
although on opposite sides (because of their location, but not necessarily
the views of their inhabitants) in the Civil War.    (Since there are several
subscribers to the list it seems from UVA, I am assuming the site has been
mentioned in the past).

It is truly an outstanding site and to be recommended to everyone as a source
of interesting raw data (newspaper articles, census, other records).  The URL
is:  http://www.iath.virginia.edu/vshadow2/

I listened to its "founder" Ed Ayres give a presentation, and one of the
things that stuck out in my mind was the comment that according to the 1860
census records, one of the wealthiest men in      County VA, was a freed
slave.  To his students and others the question of course is...now how did
that happen?

I just thought I'd mention it, as well as the project.

Janet (Baugh) Hunter