From:
James Hershman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 13:17:21 -0400
During the Reconstruction period most of the southern states set up
immigration boards to try to attract immigrants into their states. Purposes
ranged from getting skilled and unskilled labor to replace the newly freed
slaves, to unloading some worn out tobacco lands, to simply increasing the
white population. Jack Maddox in his book on the Virginia Conservatives talks
briefly about the board. As far as I know, it had little success in drawing
immigration into VA (except for the little colony of three hundred families
that moved from Ohio to Mecklenburg County in 1872--that included some of my
ancestors).

Jim Hershman