From:
Victoria Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Feb 2006 15:18:29 -0500
I've been interested in DNA testing for some time.  In fact, I will be doing
my own in the coming weeks.  I do have one question about when such tests
are compared to determine whether individuals are descended from the same
projenator[sp?](such as Louis Gates and potential cousins in last week's
African American Lives).  My question:

How can one be certain that the individuals being used as the baseline have
an unbroken line to that ancestor?  Or does this approach rely on the
concept that biological legitimacy follows legal or presumed paternity?

I was just wondering.

color=#993399><EM>Ancestors sought:&nbsp; Gant, Potts, Goss, Wynn, Robinson,
Kitchens, Edwards, Chambers, Dancer, Simmons, Jack, etc, etc,
etc</EM></FONT></P>
<P>"The danger to political dissent is acute where the Government attempts
to act under so vague a concept as the power to protect 'domestic
security.'&nbsp; Given the difficulty of defining the domestic security
interest, the danger of abuse in acting to protect that interest becomes
apparent." <BR><EM>-- U.S. Supreme Court, 1972</EM></P></div></html>