From:
Elizabeth Roderick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 09:32:35 -0400
Greetings - mail delivery to VA-HIST was automatically stopped by the
software late last Thursday due to the number of messages that were posted.
I was out of town until now, and was not aware that this happened.  I am
re-starting the mail delivery; however, you will be receiving the messages
directly from me before mail delivery resumes its normal look.  I will
change the settings for the list to prevent this from happening again.

However, let's take this opportunity to review some "netiquette" issues for
VA-HIST.

1.  Please keep the tone of your messages polite.  Some of the messages that
were posted last week were inappropriate.

2.  Remember that the list is set up so that all "replies" to a posting
automatically go back out to all list members.  There are more than 530
members of VA-HIST.  Many messages last week should have been sent privately
back to the original poster and not out to the entire list.

3.  Please EDIT your replies to ONLY include enough text from the original
message to lend context.  Delete ALL lines that are un-needed.  Those who
receive the "digest" version of VA-HIST must scroll through line after line
of re-posted text to find your contribution to the discussion.

4.  Please do not send "me too" or "I agree" messages to the list.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Elizabeth

--
Elizabeth Roderick                   email ([log in to unmask])
Director, Digital Library Program    voice  (804) 692-3761