From:
Bill Welsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2018 14:45:45 -0400
AMERICAN REVOLUTION ROUND TABLE of RICHMOND

Please join us on Wednesday, July 18, when Dr. Larrie Ferreiro will present “Brothers in Arms: American Independence and the Men of France and Spain Who Saved It.”  The presentation is based on Larrie’s Pulitzer Prize Finalist book of the same title.  https://smile.amazon.com/Brothers-Arms-American-Independence-France/dp/1101910305/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1529854527&sr=1-1&keywords=brothers+at+arms  Come and learn of the international assistance we received during the war.

We meet for dinner at 5 PM (our summer schedule) in the Heilman Dining Center (#34) at the University of Richmond, with the meeting commencing at 6 PM.  A campus map is here.  https://www.richmond.edu/visit/maps/print/campus.pdf

We now have four candidates for our 2018 Preservation Partner, with the addition of the Menokin Foundation.  Menokin was the home of Francis Lightfoot Lee, a Virginia signer of the Declaration of Independence.  Here’s their site.  https://www.menokin.org/
Do view the very interesting video.  We will accept any final candidates at the July meeting, then proceed with the voting.

Here’s an interesting article about revolutionary prisoners of war, forwarded by Dave Riggs.

‘Turn out your dead!’ In America’s War for Independence, POWs paid a terrible price.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/retropolis/wp/2018/07/03/turn-out-your-dead-in-americas-war-for-independence-pows-paid-a-terrible-price/

By the way, thanks to a number of you who humorously replied to Dave’s Moe De Grasse witticism.

Bruce Venter supplied this interesting article about The Lafayette Washington Pistols.  https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2018/5/28/the-lafayettewashington-pistols/

As a New Jersey guy who speaks on Washington’s crossing of the Delaware, I usually mention the silent movie “The Beautiful Rebel” or “Janice Meredith” based on the novel Janice Meredith: A Story of the American Revolution (1899).  Janice is the Forrest Gump of the revolution.  There is a crossing segment, so look for the Rall quote, “Pick up your pickets and bring them in to be pickled too.”  The drunken Hessian story!  Thanks to my Texan friend Wayne Lynch for finding this.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk_Vx5uBCOk  All you need is about 2 1/2 hours.  And keep an eye out for W C Fields, too.

A request and a reminder.  As you discover American Revolution related information, please pass it along to me to be shared with the entire group.  Likewise, if you’ve heard a good speaker that you suspect the group would enjoy, please pass that information to Bruce Venter, our program VP.  Thanks.

See you on July 18.

Bill

---
https://www.avg.com