From:
Sunshine49 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 15:47:27 -0500
I dug up the other recipes. The Richmond Light Infantry Blues (which
my father was a member of from 1935-40) had a famous 32 gallon "India
china" punch bowl in which they mixed brandy, rum, madeira, lemons,
sugar and ice. For their cookouts they also roasted a pig and had
oysters, salads, breads and cakes, and they and leading men of the
area played cards and quoits. Chatham Artillery Punch from SC
consisted of 1 1/2 gal. catawba wine, 1/2 gallon rum, 1 qt. brandy,
1/2 pt. Benedictine, 2 qts. maraschino cherries, 1 1/2 qt. whiskey, 1
1/2 gal. "strong tea", 2 1/2 lbs brown sugar, and 1/1/2 qts each
orange juice and lemon juice. Mix 36- 48 hours before drinking. It
was said to have also been used to fire Confederate cannons when the
powder ran out. Everybody carrying on the well-lubricated tradition
of Gov. Spotswood and his gentlemen adventurers, no doubt.

Nancy

-------
Our eyes report to our minds what our minds have told them to see.

--Anon.