From:
David Kiracofe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2007 13:29:34 -0400
People interested in the persistence and eventual decline of Islam among
enslaved Africans should look at Michael Gomez's Exchanging Our Country
Marks (1998).  Gomez also has much useful information about other sorts
of cultural hold-overs from the African Old World -- foodways, naming
patterns, etc., and their place in the African New World.

David Kiracofe

>From: Brent Tarter <[log in to unmask]>

>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Islam and Slavery in Virginia
>Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 10:12:35 -0400
>
>We know that some Muslims were enslaved and transported to Virginia but
>not how many or for certain when. My excellent friend Ed Bond, who has
>written the only useful book on seventeenth-century Virginia religious
>history, called my attention several years ago to this obscurely placed
>but interesting anecdote:

David Kiracofe
History
Tidewater Community College