Date:
Wed, 28 May 2003 13:14:32 -0500
Hello Listers, my first time here.

Modern maps, such as found at http://topozone.com (enter Oldtown, MD to find
the subject area if interested), show a small town named South Branch
located on the West Virginia bank of the Potomac immediately east of the
mouth of the South Branch's confluence with the North Branch, that forms the
'main' Potomac River.  The town is further identified in parentheses as
French or French's Station.  However, no inhabitants remain at this location
and haven't for many years.  The single road access is steep and sometimes
threatening for today's passenger cars.  A post office, railroad station and
likely a business or two, possibly even a school, existed during the
mid-late 1800's and into the early 1900's.  An abandoned rotting building or
two in the general vicinity, possibly not even part of 'the town,' are the
only remaining structures; the stark emptiness in such an otherwise
generally beautiful setting is hardly worthy to even qualify the area as a
'ghost town.'  This remnant, about a mile east of being directly across
river from Col. Cresap's Oldtown, Maryland historical structure, indeed
contained a business operated by a FRENCH (surname) family, possibly at two
different times in the past, the earliest possibly about 1750 or so.  The
'town' is/was located in present Hampshire County, West Virginia, previously
a part of Frederick County, Virginia that became Hampshire County, Virginia,
in 1754.  Early maps of the area, such as "A map of the most inhabited part
of Virginia containing the whole province of Maryland with part of
Pensilvania, New Jersey and North Carolina, drawn by Joshua Fry & Peter
Jefferson in 1751-1754, published in 1755,"
(http://lcweb2.loc.gov/ammem/gmdhtml/gmdhome.html) shows a "Shawno Indian
Field (deserted)" on both sides of the Potomac at this location.  Different
historical accountings indicate the Shawano or Shawnee Native Indians at
this location left as early as the 1720's, or at least by the 1740's, due to
strife with another Indian tribe (a Shawano reference) or with white
settlers entering the area.  'White men' first began settling this area
south of the Potomac and west of present Winchester, VA during the mid-late
1730's, with Joist Hite's group from Pennsylvania being among the first, but
I find nothing written about a local Indian settlement in conjunction with
that group.  I recall that James G. Leyburn, in his 'The Scotch-Irish, A
Social History,' simply mentions an Indian village somewhere near
Winchester.

But what about possible earlier frontiersmen?  I am theorizing the location
of 'South Branch' or 'French's Station' was a Potomac river-bank trading
post during and/or immediately after the Shawano were there, one of the many
posts that existed along the Potomac River to which several history authors
allude -- but of which few are identified by location or name (that I have
found.)  Frontiersmen and colonial settlers were adept at using waterways as
means for migrating, trading or even visiting neighbors.  A location at the
mouth of the South Branch (of the Potomac) River would have made an
excellent goods-gathering and distributing point.  Its flat bank would have
made ready access for boat dockage while higher land for more permanent
structures was nearby.

Does anyone possibly have information about this 'South Branch' location, or
a possible lead to a reference?  Or, have references to 'any' specific
trading posts of the early-mid 1700's along the Potomac, as general
interest?  (I believe I have checked all Hampshire County sources.)  The
Potomac became much shallower upriver of its North and South Branch
juncture, and rapids or 'flats' downstream were a hindrance to boat traffic
of commercial nature during periods of dry weather, but furs and other goods
were transported up and down river, even tobacco and other farm goods during
later times, as mentioned by a few historians.  (I need a much better means
of finding references!)

I enjoy studying American history, local history details, ways and means of
pre/post RW times, etc. in conjunction with my genealogy interest.  My
earliest proved ancestor, Valentine McDaniel-McDonell-McDonald (spelling
variants of various records), was apparently born at this 'South Branch'
location 11 January 1760 per his Revolutionary War pension application
records, "as told to him by his parents."  His father, Joseph, may have been
the Joseph McDonnell who was recorded as voting for Col. George Washington
on 24 July 1758 at the courthouse in Winchester, in Washington's successful
attempt at Virginia's House of Burgesses -- but that's an interest for
another time.

Thanks for any help or responses of related historical interest.  And,
thanks to the US Geological Survey team for their excellent map work and
somehow retaining some of the 'ancient' town names and old family cemetery
locations.  Locations of 'dotted-line' virtually abandoned roads also makes
for some excellent 4WD exploring and insight as to ancestors' paths and home
locations.

Neil McDonald
PS - Being retired and 'in-between' gainful employment I have had time to
search this list's archives with various keywords and found some very
interesting 'strings.'  I look forward to some enjoyable times here.