From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 2004 22:50:17 -0400
On Sep 12, 2004, at 9:23 PM, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> As you may have concluded, the Potomac River has a new resident species
> in the Snakehead fish. Also, a couple of years ago zebra mussels were
> found in a Northern Virginia quarry-lake.
>
> This has brought me to thinking about what other major events have
> occurred in Virginia's natural history. I am curious as to what if any
> Virginia animal or plant species have become extinct in Virginia during
> historic times and when. Also when and what new animal, plant, or
> disease species have arrived or been discovered to have arrived in
> historic times.

The Largemouth Bass was supposedly introduced into VA waters in the
19th century, if memory serves. Also, Osage Orange trees were
introduced in the second half of the 19th century from Oklahoma as
hedgerows. Tree of Heaven, Ginko and Pawlonia were all introduced as
packing materials for Chinese Export Porcelain. Numerous hedge species
were intentionally introduced in the 17th & 18th centuries for
decorative purposes.

Johnson Grass was introduced in the 20th century. Japanese Beetles were
lab escapees in the 20th century. English sparrows were apparently an
European import.  Tobacco appears to be a different strain than that
found originally in VA.

Lyle Browning