From:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2007 16:16:22 -0500
There were no slave ships (if you mean African Slave Trade) legally
operating from the North after 1776.  After that time every northern
state made it a crime for its citizens to paricipate in the slave trade
or to build ships for this as well.  Most of the slaves brought to the
US and the Brit. colonies came on British ships.  As for the coastal
trade -- that is bringing slaves from Virginia to say Louisiana -- most
of those ships were probably southern based -- Baltimore, Norfolk, etc.
Most slaves were moved to the deep south out of Virginia (the great
exporter of slaves) by land.  Virginia was basically the center of the
American slave trade after 1808 and huge numbers of slaves from there
(and some from Md., Ky, and NC) were moved to the deep south.

Paul Finkelman

Paul Finkelman
President William McKinley Distinguished Professor of Law
     and Public Policy
Albany Law School
80 New Scotland Avenue
Albany, New York   12208-3494

518-445-3386
>>> [log in to unmask] 01/19/07 4:20 PM >>>
The (SOUTH) had no slave ships. The (NORTH) had those.
Lincoln made mistakes also. I forgive him.