Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2006 11:24:20 -0500
I don't disagree with the general thrust of Henry Wiencek's
point, below.  As I will develop here, however, he has
misunderstood the claims I am advancing.

Wiencek suggests below that there is a wide spread ignorance
of manumission and emancipation, shared by much of the
literate reading public.  He also argues that this
ignorance--even perhaps amnesia--should be dispelled.  He
suggests that the publication of books like his own, and those
of Ely and Levy, are valuable in part at least because they
contribute to dispelling this popular ignorance.  If I have
understood Wiencek's argument correctly, I do not disagree
with it.

But Levy does not make the arguement this arguement.  Rather,
Levy argues that the historical profession as a whole shares
this amnesia.  And the notion that Ira Berlin, David Brion
Davis, Eugene Genovese, Peter Wood, Phil Morgan, and a host of
less luminary scholars, indeed, the vast majority of less
luminary scholars, are ignorant of the broad phenomena of
which Levy's book is an example--that notion is ludicruous.
For at least two generations now, the emancipation of slaves,
the passage of manumission laws, the development of southern
thought about the question of slavery--all of this has been of
broad scolarly interest.  I did a literature search last night
using JSTOR, and found examples of this kind of research in
articles dating back to the 1960s.

I do not dispute the value of Levy's book in dispelling
comfortable popular mythology.  I do dispute the inference
that I, and large numbers of people like me, are not committed
to the same project.  It may very well be super popular
history.  But Brent's question--the question to which I
responded--was not about popular history.  It was about
historiography.  And when it comes to historiography, I find
Levy's arguments to be hyperbolic.

All best,
Kevin