From:
James Hershman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 2014 15:37:06 -0400
All the recent scholarship I've read on slavery such as Walter
Johnson' s *River
of Dark Dreams *and Sydney Nathan's *To Free a Family* as well as earlier
work by Ira Berlin and James Oakes supports the point made by Paul and the
numbers given by Kevin. The movement of probably a million enslaved persons
from the seaboard states, especially Maryland, Virginia, and North
Carolina, was one of the defining aspects of African American and American
History before the Civil War. The legal premise of American slavery--that
people were owned as private property with no rights--was a moral horror.
It was complicated by the fact that slaveholders lived among the enslaved
and there was a kind of paternalism, that is that not all relationships
between white and black were brutal--as long as the system was not
challenged. Make no mistake, however, slavery rested on violence and the
threat of sale South overshadowed the lives of all slaves. Others, if not
sold, were forced marched, often in chains, by their owners to the new
cotton lands in the Lower South. Slave traders, like the Franklin &
Armfield firm in Alexandria, did a booming business carrying slaves by
water or overland to the slave market in New Orleans. The Hairston family
who owned more slaves than any other in the nation had a string of
plantations running from Henry County, Virginia to Mississippi and there
were others like them (such as the Cameron family in Nathan's book).

Virginia was probably the chief state in providing slaves but it was not
alone. As a footnote to this, the Free Black population also had a modest
reduction due to emigration, mostly to Liberia (estimates for VA and
Maryland run about 4000).

All best,
Jim Hershman

--