From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 2004 18:21:26 -0500
Well, I just went through the students' comments on the debate. Of the
eleven black students who responded, three said it didn't matter to them,
and the other seven said it still symbolizes racism and white domination to
them.  Of the eleven white students who responded, two said they feel that
if it offends, it shouldn't be worn. The other nine said that it didn't
symbolize racism and should be allowed. One poor young man even defended the
confederate flag saying it was the symbol of freedom for the original 13
states! I think he has his thirteens mixed up.

I think Mr. Beardon is way out of line in describing anyone on this list as
a bigot and racist. Especially in light of the insignificance of the facts
he provided. Unless one makes the broad leap of faith that stats on
incarceration are wholly reliable as an indication of criminal acts, his
stats are immaterial. Unwed motherhood is an indication of those who chose
life over abortion, etc., not an statistic that can indicate immoral sexual
activity. (One could of course, get into the moral quicksand of determining
whether adultery or unmarried sex is more sinful!)

The original questions posed in class was whether or not the confederate
flag should allowed to be worn on clothing at school. Currently is not
allowed, as other racist, gang, and sexist clothing is not allowed. Clothing
which distracts students from the purpose of learning is out of place. If
what is on someone's shirt offends or distracts, it is not appropriate
school apparel. The rules for school apparel should not be significantly
different from the rules on work apparel.

Incidentally, Anita, I also grew up in Reading, PA.

Anne