From:
"S. Corneliussen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2008 14:53:04 -0400
> This sounds very nice.

Parts of the new reuse plan really are nice. If you had shown me this reuse
plan back in September 2005, when I published the op-ed that appears at
http://www.cfmnp.org/Future_of_Fort_Monroe.htm , I'd have been elated. Back
then, there was no evidence that Virginia's leaders had any idea what they
were dealing with. We have risen a long way since those days. However:

> I hope that all Virginians and Virginians
> at heart will make sure that this works.

What I hope that Virginians will do is make sure that our leaders continue
to move away from the unwise planning that began in 2005, and toward the
kind of future that the Norfolk Virginian-Pilot has endorsed. (More about
that below.)

Some might be interested in the two e-mailouts that my organization,
Citizens for a Fort Monroe National Park, has distributed today. Along with
the Pilot, we advocate a self-sustaining, revenue-generating, innovatively
structured Fort Monroe National Park -- the whole National Historic Landmark
at Old Point Comfort, not just the moated fortress. Our precedent, though
it's not a direct model, is San Francisco's Presidio.

Those two messages follow: