Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2007 13:08:35 -0600
Dr. Kukla,

You're welcome.  However, you seem to take joy in leaping quickly to a long
negative commentary concerning the http://books.google.com search engine
when my example of its use was simply that.  Using more imaginative search
words, including 'Dr. Thomas Walker' or others pertinent to your interests,
would certainly have gleaned more meaningful results.  Like most on-line
search engines (but not many text indices) the first few results are usually
the most helpful by far.  However, many results may indicate how
far-reaching is the subject matter.  This is simply 'an additional' tool for
research when visiting a large library is not practical -- and it includes
'books;' it is not limited to 'journals' as are your JSTOR and Project Muse
sources, I believe.  Besides this limitation, your normal sources require a
paid subscription for individuals having no affiliation with their membershp
entities -- and visiting a large library out here on the frontier must be a
planned pack-horse trip, not one we make on a daily or even weekly basis.

Dr. Kukla, I highly respect your knowledge, scholarship and your graciously
sharing these in your postings here.  It just seems that, this time, your
title got in the way of objectively exploring how a new research tool can be
very helpful, especially to many of us frontier commoners.

While exploring your interest, I was surprised to learn how
'interpretations' of some extant personal files of Thos. Jefferson (he
burned many personal letters including correspondence with his wife) has led
to some surmising about Jefferson possibly philandering with young John
Walker's wife while Walker was attending the Fort Stanwiz conference in 1768
(with subsequent exaggerated accountings being touted as absolute fact.)  I
was further surprised to learn that a few authors of the Hemings mess,
er...ah...research (I'm speaking of the 'jump-on-the-bandwagon' variety)
have claimed this 'proves' that Jefferson's bedroom door had a center
rotating shaft and spun much like a fan.  Further, it seems that the
birthdate of John Walker's wife, Elizabeth Moore Walker, is lacking
credibility, with a supposed 1752 date meaning she was aged 12 when marrying
John Walker (b. 1744) and only 16 at the time of the Fort Stanwix conference
(when Jefferson, b. 1743 supposedly took advantage; Jefferson then was
single and had just completing his tutoring for admittance to the Virginia
bar, and enjoyed the social set.)  Yes, older men taking teenage brides was
not uncommon in those times, but a child bride with both families of high
reknown....?  John's father, Dr. Thomas Walker (b. 1715) of many fames, was
Jefferson's guardian when Jefferson's father died in 1757 and an intimate
friend of Jefferson during his lifetime.

This should be a sufficient soap opera fix for the list today, there's also
a Google image search for those lacking imagination.

A little more from Library of Congress concerning Jefferson's legacy:  "Fear
for his reputation and public legacy led him to beg his closest friend,
James Madison, to "take care of me when dead." In his final letter to Roger
Weightman, Jefferson eloquently espoused the central role of the United
States and the Declaration of Independence as signals of the blessings of
self-government to the world."

And finally, all of this again from LOC:

"Time wastes too fast"

Laurence Sterne (1713-1768) was one of Thomas Jefferson's favorite popular
authors. As his wife lay dying in September 1782, Jefferson and Martha
copied these lines from _Tristram Shandy_. [written by Martha] Time wastes
too fast: every letter / I trace tells me with what rapidity life follows my
pen. The days and hours / of it are flying over our heads like clouds of a
windy day never to return.../ [and written by Thomas] and every time I kiss
thy hand to bid adieu, every absence which / follows it, are preludes to the
eternal separation which we are shortly to make/
For the remainder of his life, Jefferson kept this paper with a lock of
Martha's hair entwined around it.

With great regards,
and keeping this at hand for Valentine's Day...
Neil McDonald
PS - Please don't hang a Dr. title on me, that's my son.
Old Fart or Rural Retired Technical One having great
passion for many topics daily might be better identifiers.
PSS - 'Tristram Shandy' is a great comic novel of 9 volumes
written during 1759-69.  Google this to obtain further
inferences about the intimacy of Thomas and Martha.
PSSS - I hope this thoroughly answers Kent's original
question that started this string...my apologies, Kent.