From:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 10:38:33 -0600
I am not sure where all this fits in the Va-hist. thread.  I certainly
don't want to turn this into a conlaw list serve (I am on enough of
those already)

But, I will say something about the federalists of 1787 and the
antifederalists.  The Anti-feds were the big losers.  They did not want
the Constitution at all; they wanted a second convention to rewrite and
undo what the first did.  Many of them, like Henry in Va., used the Bill
of Rights as a tool to defeat the Constitution (which is why Madison
called them "dishonest"). In COngress thr only opposition to the BoR was
from the few antifederalists in the House and Senate.   WHen the Bill of
Rights came to the state Henry opposed it and Va. was the last state ot
ratify the BofR. That is because the core anti-feds, like Henry, Lee,
Mason and Clinton in NY all knew that if the BoR was ratified they would
NEVER get a second convention to undo the Constitution.  They were right
on that score; once the BoR was in place the antis simply disappeared;
Henry became a federalist (he like to be on the winning side); while
people like ELbridge Gerry form Mass. and James Monroe from Va. became
Jeffersonian REpublicans.

So, bottom line; the A-Fs lost and the Federalists won.

Paul Finkelman