From:
Brent Tarter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2007 15:11:15 -0400
Nancy wrote,

"ok... so my sources had it wrong..."

Unfortunately, quite a lot of secondary sources on our bookshelves have
wrong statements in them. It pays to go to the most authoritative
secondary sources first and then, if possible, to the actual primary
sources, not just what somebody once said about them. As we saw the
other day when the case of Richard Cornish came up, large issues can
hinge on the interpretation of very fine points in the original records,
and what people say about the records is not always entirely correct.

Those of us who are working on the volumes of the Dictionary of Virginia
Biography wish that we were already down to the letter R and could speak
with confidence on all of the sources relating to his life. We do know
that he was not a member of the governor's Council or a burgess, either
one.

The DVB entry on Robert Bolling (1646-1709) cites evidence in Bolling's
own handwriting (here in the Library of Virginia, as it happens) for his
marriage to Jane Rolfe, daughter of Thomas Rolfe, son of John and Rebeca
(a.k.a. Pocahontas) Rolfe.

Brent Tarter
The Library of Virginia

Visit the Library of Virginia's Web site at http://www.lva.lib.va.us