From:
"Hardin, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2007 12:11:17 -0400
  Judging by J. South's comment, some of us have
  learned very little.  Because history is a product
  of culture, the history that is being written today
  reflects the changes in our society.  Those who
  complain so much about “PC” history are saying
  much less about the new history than they are about
  their own deep-seated fears and prejudices.  When
  they rant about “PC history that ‘celebrates’
  such nonsense in American History such as Harriet
  Tubman,” what they’re really saying is “Why do
  we have to hear about all of ‘those people’?”
  What do they want?  Traditional Correctness, of
  course.  “TC” history is the kind of history
  that for centuries in Virginia was written to
  promote myths of Cavaliers, or divinely-inspired
  Founders, or beknighted martyrs of a fanciful Lost
  Cause.  I’m a descendants of both Jamestown and
  Plymouth (by way of Priscilla Mullins, no less), but
  I was bored silly by the kind of WASP commentary
  that was taught as the "official" history when I was
  growing up in the 60s and 70s in Fairfax County.  It
  may come as a shock to some, but the past is full of
  peoples and events that bare little resemblance to
  the lily white and starch-stiff TC history that has
  been inflicted upon us until fairly recently.  I'd
  like to think the stake finally has been driven
  through the heart of sanitized, jingoistic,
  nationalistic, Anglo-centric, feel-good "American"
  history, but TC history will be around as long as
  there are people interested in hearing narrow and
  sterile interpretations of the past.  The real
  lesson of the Jamestown Quadricentennial is that it
  is a perfect example of how some would like to see
  the past and how it really was.  You can either skip
  happily through the sanitized and idealized
  Jamestown Settlement – with brave, noble, and
  properly-bathed Englishmen living in harmony with
  “friendly” (read:  subservient) Natives – or
  you can deal with the reality of Jamestown Island
  – full of heroes, scoundrels, and bad smells
  surrounded by angry Natives, both willing to do very
  unpleasant things to survive.  I would suggest that
  the former is for school kids while the latter is
  for grownups.

  Now having sniped at Jamestown Settlement, let me
  note that the program this past weekend at
  Chesterfield County’s Henricus Historical Park –
  featuring a visit by the Godspeed – was very well
  done and extremely well attended.  The reenactment
  program there is fairly good and, except for the
  usual lack of sailing vessels there, gives Jamestown
  Settlement a run for its money (as a county park, it
  is considerably cheaper).  An interesting parallel
  to Henricus Historical Park is Pioneer Village in
  Salem, Massachusetts.  While Henricus interprets the
  “Citie of Henricus” circa 1611 (thereby being
  able to largely sidestep the slavery issue), Pioneer
  Village interprets the fishing village of Salem
  circa 1630 (thereby sidestepping the witch issue –
  although they do have a ducking stool!).  As
  Henricus is a pleasant alternative to Jamestown, so
  Salem’s Pioneer Village is a wonderful alternative
  to Plymouth Plantation.  When I was there several
  years ago, the park was populated by reenactors who
  were good enough actors with enough knowledge to
  remain in character.  It may be even better now that
  it’s gone through a recent renovation.

________________________________

Dr. David S. Hardin
Assistant Professor of Geography
Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences
Longwood University
Farmville, Virginia 23909
Phone: (434) 395-2581
e-mail: [log in to unmask]