From:
Bill Welsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2012 19:46:23 -0500
Hi Folks,

The next meeting of the American Revolution Round Table of Richmond will be on Wednesday, January 16, 2013. Bill Young in the person of Patrick Henry will be joining us.  Bill’s presentation of John Paul Jones was very well received a few years ago.  The regular meeting reminder will go out in January.  http://arrt-richmond.blogspot.com/

Here’s other information from our friends.

1.  John Maass sent this about the Barrett Farm House in Concord, MA.  I had the pleasure of visiting this house last year with Bruce Venter on an America’s History tour, while restoration was in progress.  It’s well worth seeing.  http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2012/11/farm-dating-revolutionary-war-added-minute-man-national-historical-park-massachusetts10800

2.  Charles Baxley from SCAR reminded us about their upcoming Roundtable and Corps of Discovery.

Southern Campaigns Revolutionary War Roundtable

The Charleston Library Society

164 King Street, Charleston, SC

January 12, 2013

Friday evening – January 11, 2013 - 6:00 pm - gather at Sticky Fingers’ restaurant & bar (341 Johnnie Dodds Blvd., Mt. Pleasant, SC) for fellowship, libations and dinner if you like -https://www.stickyfingers.com/WebpageFaderSecure.aspx?WebpageId=101&CategoryId=47 ) Private room for 30 reserved; ask for the SCAR group in the banquet room. Informal gathering, no program, fellowship only. (843) 856-7427

Saturday Schedule – January 12th - [free, public invited] The Charleston Library Society

http://www.charlestonlibrarysociety.org/index.html

[Facility opens at 9:45 am for setup and coffee. Please let us know if your will need special parking or access considerations.]

10:00 am - start presentations - Dr. Graham Scott will pipe us in

Welcome, introductions

Morning presentations

10:15 am - Tour of library & brief history of The Charleston Library Society – Rob Salvo

12:30 pm – "Dutch treat" lunch catered on site

Afternoon presentations

4:00 pm - end RT sessions

Parking for RT at the The Charleston Library Society

- city parking garage at King & Queen Streets (fee based) – other garages nearby

- http://www.charleston-sc.gov/parkingmap/parking.html

Electronics at The Charleston Library Society

- will have PowerPoint projection setup and we will have internet access at the The Charleston Library Society – to be sure, bring your presentations on a thumb drive

Lunch & Snacks

- will cater sandwich lunch at The Charleston Library Society

- we will pass the hat for $8.00 “Dutch treat” contribution

Saturday evening

6:00 pm - informal gathering at Vickery’s Shem Creek Bar & Grill (1313 Shrimp Boat Lane) in Mt. Pleasant for fellowship, libations and dinner [elevator, HC accessible] http://www.vickerys.com/locations.html

Recommended Hotel – Mt. Pleasant

- Holiday Inn Express, 350 Johnnie Dodds Blvd. (US 17), Mt. Pleasant, SC. http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/en/mount-pleasant/chsgr/hoteldetail You must book your room before December 18th to secure our $89 + taxes rate/per night. Our room reservation block code is SCG. To reserve your room on-line use this address: http://www.hiexpress.com/redirect?path=hd&brandCode=ex&localeCode=en&regionCode=1&hotelCode=chsgr&_PMID=99801505&GPC=scg

- This is where we will gather for our Sunday morning Corps of Discovery

Please visit for the latest updates: http://www.southerncampaign.org/roundtables

Southern Campaigns of the American Revolution

Corps of Discovery – Revolutionary War Sites East of the Cooper River

Sunday, January 13, 2013

[free event, carpool]

Mount Pleasant, SC – join your SCAR friends as we explore some little-known Revolutionary War sites in the East Cooper – Mt. Pleasant area. If you would like to present on the history of a site, please contact Charles B. Baxley. Event is by carpool, free, but we must limit the number of cars as we will be in tight residential neighborhoods. If you would like to participate in this tour, please contact Doug MacIntyre at [log in to unmask]

Initial meeting place – Holiday Inn Express, 350 Johnnie Dodds Blvd. (US 17), Mt. Pleasant, http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/en/mount-pleasant/chsgr/hoteldetail

Gather in the lobby 9:30 am on Sunday morning, drink coffee, and leave cars in their lot while we carpool to these sites in residential neighborhoods. The Holiday Inn Express will furnish coffee & bathrooms and we’ll start with a briefing on day’s sites, handout driving map and directions, and time schedule. We will depart at 10:00 am.

Event rain or shine; please dress appropriately. Some walking involved.

Corps of Discovery sites in Mt. Pleasant: Hobcaw Point Magazine on Molasses Creek; Pritchard’s (SC Navy) Shipyard on Hobcaw Creek; the Lempriers Point Battery site; the Battery at Mount Pleasant and Hibben (Motte) House; the 1776 and 1780 Batteries and American camps at Haddrells Point near The Cove; the 1776 and 1780 Bridge of Boats to Sullivan’s Island; Mt. Pleasant Barracks POW site; Charles Pinckney’s Snee Farm POW site; and Sullivan’s Island sites as time may allow.

Please visit for the latest updates: http://www.southerncampaign.org/corps-of-discovery

Questions and suggestions:

Charles B. Baxley - [log in to unmask] David P. Reuwer – [log in to unmask]

Doug MacIntyre - [log in to unmask] C. Leon Harris - [log in to unmask]

3. The Friends of Valley Forge, where I got my start in history, are attempting to restore Fort John Moore, one of the redoubts from the encampment.  Details are at http://www.friendsofvalleyforge.org/fortify.shtml?utm_source=jhb+-+enews+2012-10-25&utm_campaign=Sept+26+2012&utm_medium=email  Also check the rest of their site for other interesting information.

4.  Don’t forget the America’s History upcoming 2nd Annual Conference on the American Revolution, March 22 – 24, 2013, in Williamsburg.  Bruce Venter, our corporate sponsor, conducted an excellent event last year, and this year promises to be just as good.  http://americashistoryllc.com/2012/03/2nd-annual-conference-on-the-american-revolution-march-22-24-2013/

May you all have a Merry Christmas and a safe, peaceful, and Happy New Year.

Bill Welsch