From:
Jon Kukla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 May 2002 10:17:02 -0400
Re: the article's statement that
' The Code Noir stated that "slaves can have no right to any kind of
property," but this apparently was ignored.'
Louisiana's Code Noir is a complex subject - the laws themselves have many
internal contradictions, on this property matter and many other details, and
their application varied (after all we're talking about a nearly 3 centuries
and 3 different national administrations). In short, both elements of the
sentence - what WAS the law? and how was it applied - were variable in time
and place and specific situation.
  Coincoin and Cane River are fascinating - and btw the adjacent town of
Natchitoches is a wonderful place to visit - Melrose Plantation and other
sites are well preserved - the B&Bs are plentiful and the food superb.  Its 4
hours NW of New Orleans (close the Shreveport) but well worth the trip.
Jon Kukla