From:
Ray Terry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2011 23:35:32 -0500
 A question for the ages.  Paul Heinegg argues that folks told the enumerator what they were, race-wise.  My wife's family was not asked.  I suspect most were not.  My wife's mixed-race grandparents appeared to be white but in 1930 were enumerated as "Neg", as was my wife and her mother.   Take a look at my wife with me at her retirement dinner

http://nativeamericansofdelawarestate.com/Mitsawokett%20Photos/TerryBetty&Ray.htm

Further on down the page she is standing with her mother, Grace.

What do you think?

Ray Terry

"Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908