From:
Anne Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Dec 2012 19:33:51 +0000
Happy New Greetings! Please Help SAVE The Fearn Plantation!

Researchers and descendants of the old Fearn Plantation in Danville have been trying to work with the city officials to help save the old

cemetery, historic ruins and family and slave histories connected to this plantation. We have made little progress during the entire year and

have been denied copies of the official historical/archaeological reports/studies. Danville has submitted their Federal and State applications for development...so we may be running out of time. We do not want to stop economic progress for Danville, but we do want to save the cemetery, historic ruins and the family and slave histories.

We have started an online petition  - Save the Fearn Family Plantation
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/save-the-fearn-family-plantation.html

"A nation with little regard for the past will do nothing in the future to remember " Abraham Lincoln

The city of Danville has had little regard for the Fearn Plantation and the many families associated with this site. This lack of respect and understanding of the historical value of the area...has been detrimental over the years. And the decisions made by the present city leaders - could be very regrettable and irreversible.

Danville is being very selective about what history they want to preserve and promote. If the site is “needed” for industrial development – will the historical value be forgotten? I think because so much of the historical value has been overlooked for years – Danville should be willing to do more. Danville is known as "the last capital of the Confederate States of America" but it seems to disregard any historical importance if it does not fit in their plans for economic development.

Would the Danville officials...feel differently about the Fearn Plantation ...if they descended from the Fearn (or Wynne, Brodnax or Walters) slaves? If their family history had been ignored for generations?

Perhaps with much interest given to the new Lincoln movie, 150th Anniversary of the Civil War and 150th Anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation – folks will care more about this historical site.

This is why we must work very hard NOW...to save the Fearn Plantation's cemetery, historic ruins and family and slave histories ....so they can be remembered, respected and researched by future generations.

This plantation represents an indisputably time and place in history....significant and sacred.

Thanks,

Anne Evans

Researcher/Descendant - Burton, Payne, Harrison, Coleman and Fearn families