From:
Jurretta Heckscher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2007 18:34:51 -0500
Yes, I have come across the term "to give a slave his/her time," and it
means, as you have surmised, an unofficial emancipation:  the person
was allowed to live as a free person, but legally they were not
free--and thus subject to having their "freedom" revoked at any time by
their legal owner or his/her heirs.

The reasons for this practice were probably numerous.  In Virginia, the
law (of 1806, if memory serves?) stating that those who were officially
freed either had to leave the state within a year, or have their
residence in the state approved by a petition to the legislature,
probably led some slaveholders to "give time" in this fashion rather
than go to the trouble, and publicity, of turning to the legislature.

I don't know, but can imagine, that it might therefore have been an
especially useful mechanism among two grooups:  those who had
themselves been manumitted and were subsequently able to purchase
enslaved family members, but who (even if they were literate and could
craft a formal petition) might reasonably have supposed that their
wishes would carry little weight with the legislature; and those--such
as Martha Jefferson Randolph--whose social position was such that
whatever informal arrangements they might make for their human chattel
would likely have been treated with respect, discretion, and
understanding by the white community, thus affording the slaves so
treated some measure of local protection.

Hope this helps.

--Jurretta Heckscher