From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 May 2008 22:33:52 GMT
However, the genius people of color, was limited due to the oppressive system they lived under. One of my ancestor, Charles Lewis, was a Mulatto born free in King George County about 1750. He and his brother were Seamen and soldiers during the Revolutionary War. After the War, Charles Lewis settled in Richmond, where he was a prominent Businessman. His business dealings were in Rocket ts Landing, where he also owned land. I believe he was a genius who was able, in spite of the times, to acquire vast holdings. Often the genius of People of Color, was in surviving, in spite of the system. I have found documents where he freed slaves, and even freed a slave, who married his brother Ambrose. I also believe the white Lewis family were responsible to some degree in his success. They did acknowledge him as much as they could, and he is even listed in the Lewis Family Pioneers book.

So there were whites who did not strictly follow the racist policies of the time.

Anita

-- "Stephan A. Schwartz" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Anita --

While I am deeply empathic to the plight of those who were oppressed,
history tells us clearly that genius appears in the most unlikely
places, and that these individuals, regardless of their
circumstances, arc across the human narrative like comets,
enlightening the lives of everyone. I can't seem to find the paper —
probably lost in the transfer from one generation of computers to
another, and I can no longer remember the journal in which it was
published — but about 30 years ago, prompted by a conversation I had
with an extraordinary materials scientist, then on the faculty of
Hampton Institute, I wrote a paper on genius that arose from the
American slave population, and in the years immediately after wards.
Obvious examples are Frederick Douglas, and Booker T. Washington
(born in Hales Ford, Virginia in April 1856), but the list is much
longer.  There are also many accounts of slaves who were considered
brilliant technical craftsmen. I particularly remember the story of a
slave in Louisiana, who became an early expert in optics.

-- Stephan