From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 17:19:40 EDT
In a message dated 10/16/01 4:08:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<
 I would not be surprised if that document is one of the transcriptions in Ed
 Haile's very large collection of first-hand Virginia narratives. I know that
 he did extensive research in the Virginia Colonial Records Project materials
 for his book.

John or anyone else,

Separately from my Virginia crew, my small group of New England ancestors
(later Quakers PA>NC) includes STEPH&EN HOPKINS who was on the Mayflower and
is believed to be the Stephen Hopkins who earlier was Governor Thomas Gates'
nemesis when their Ship the Sea Venture, bound for Jamestown in 1609 was
ship-wrecked in Bermuda. -- events at which location are thought to be the
inspiration for Shakespeare's "The Tempest", with Hopkins as Stephano.  The
written source for which inspiration is thought to be William Strachney's
account.  See representative online comment drawing parallels between the Sea
Venture, the "tyranny of Gates" and the experience of the early Plymouth
settlers -- specifically the Mayflower Compact, here --
http://www.vineyard.net/vineyard/history/allen/bilingtn.htm

I have two questions regarding Stephen Hopkins' VA experience.  First does
anyone know if the above cited microfilm or any other similar work has any of
Governor Gates personal "musings" on Hopkins.  Second, given his behavior in
Plymouth, it appears that Hopkins spent at least some time in Jamestown area
before he went back to England.  Are there any records that might provide
enlightenment.

SEA VENTURE/PATIENCE/DELIVERANCE -- FYI, at this website there is a list and
addtitional information of the passengers on the Sea Venture, the fleet of
nine's "flagship". and only one wrecked in Bermuda, which had the VIPs on
board (Gates, Somers, etc).  In Bermuda, they built two ships to replace the
Sea Venture, the Patience & Deliverance, that made the voyage to Jamestown.
Hopkins, who argued that the Governor's authority no longer existed in
Bermuda and whose behavior had won him a death sentence in Bermuda and
pardonned after much begging with support from others, returned to England
and his wife and children.  It is likely he was not welcome in Virginia,
hence my interest in Gates' papers.

Passenger list here --
http://www.rootsweb.com/~bmuwgw/seaventure.htm  (Pictures of Gates and Somers
here as well)

A final word on any of you interested in early Massachusetts and the
Pilgrims/Plymouth,  the University of Virginia has a wonderful website for
its Plymouth Colony Project -- akin to the "Valley of the Shadow" on the
Civil War, that I recommend to you all.  It is full of all manner of court
documents, wills, records, etc., etc.

The Plymouth home page is here --
http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/users/deetz/home2.html

Best Regards,