From:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 2005 14:34:18 -0600
The issue for me is whether TJ had kids with his slaves; in the end,
lots of southern masters had kids with their slaves.  I would bet that
99% of all southern "whites" with roots that date before 1840 (or even
1860) have lots of "black" relatives.  That's what slaveowners did, here
and elsewhere.  They had sex with their slaves.  The question is, what
did they do about it; did the free their children?  raise them as their
children, or simply treat them as property?  Some freed them, sent them
to school, took care of them.  Many of hte black leaders of Rconstructin
(such as Francis L. Cardozo) were the children of slaves and masters
whose fathers raised and educated them.  TJ was not such a caring
parent. That is pretty clear; I think that  says a great deal about his
attitude towards blacks in general and his views on race and slavery.

--
Paul Finkelman
Chapman Distinguished Professor of Law

918-631-3706 (office)