From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2006 20:23:02 -0400
Whoa...... hey...... what is this thing reviewed in the Washington Post?  I never heard of the 89-minute production.  Based on the review, it and its associated commercials are heavy on flagellating the South (Us?) for slavery.  But I cannot tell much more about it.  The picture of Neil Armstrong on the moon with a Confederate flag instead of an American flag is an attention getter.  But what gives?

I think that back in the centennial of The War, some notable author(s) perhaps even Bruce Catton himself, wrote some thought-provoking alternative histories of what might have happened if the South had won.  About a decade ago, Harry Turtledove wrote THE GUNS OF THE SOUTH, which I found most interesting -- a Sci-Fi novel of South-Africans transporting men and AK-47s and personal computers (called 'QWERTYs) back into Civil War times to preserve slavery (apartheid?).  The cover was arresting itself, with a picture of Gen. Robert E. Lee holding an AK-47.  But Turtledove went on to examine some of the issues, and I think did a much better job than he did with his later alternative-history novels on WWII.

In any case, can anybody fill me in on this latest (apparent) South bashing?

Randy Cabell