From:
"John P. Adams" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2006 11:32:07 -0500
It was not a crime then.
Rewards;
Hawkins received a coat of arms and financial recognition for his efforts at
slave sales with the Spanish in the South America's and Mexico.
Drake was rewarded for his efforts at either selling slaves or attacking the
Spanish. Several other English Captains, Forbisher comes to mind as well.
Elizabeth I was happy to take the money these people brought back to England
to finance the wars against the Spanish and the rest of Europe during her
reign.

John Philip Adams