From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2007 11:06:18 -0500
Douglas Deal raises some really interesting questions about the status of
"servant" and the uses of the term.  Perhaps it is important to observe that
the law governing wage labor was called "master and servant" law (or
something like that) down at least through the 18th century.  In the newly
independent US "master" got jetisoned much quicker than did "servant," with
New York wage laborers preferring the Dutch term "baas" (our "boss.")

A question to consider is what was the relationship between striving to
become independent (yeoman, journeyman artisan, etc.) and the striving to
become a master?  Could the same man or woman hold these two ambitions at
the same time.  Was the North which slowly abandoned slavery in the late
18th and early 19th centuries, different in this regard than the South in
which slaveholding was central?

Harold S. Forsythe