From:
Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 2004 11:12:41 -0700
Mr. Wilson:

Shortly after posting my query re George W. Williams, whom the census listed
as "Clerk of the Virginia Senate", I received a copy of an article written
on the Civil War era "Williams gun" in which a letter from a veteran was
copied.  In it, the vet, from Richmond, said that around 1880 he had made
the acquaintance of George W. Williams, a son of the gun's inventor.  He
described George as "Deputy Clerk of the Virginia Senate".  Then I started
to hope that George had been promoted sometime later, in order to show up in
a list of the actual Clerks of the Senate.  But no such luck.  Good to know
the truth of the matter, though.

Thank you very much - you and others - who responded to my query.

Andy Anderson