From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2007 17:26:21 -0500
Anita and All,

    If you check Steven Hahn's recent book, A Nation Under Our Feet, you
will find the fascinating counterpoint of southern whites believing that
blacks planned to massacre them in mass on Christmas, 1865;  while at the
same time, southern blacks believed that the US Gov't was going to open a
great document on January 1, 1866 that announced the general distribution of
land to freedmen.   I have read letters from Freedmen's Bureau agents, who
had been assigned to question Virginia blacks on their intentions for
Christmas, and they replied innocuously about supper and presents for the
family, etc.  For some reason whites and blacks lived in a kind of vacuum,
psychologically isolated from each other, for at least a short while after
Appomattox.
    I think the tendency to stay close to the home place runs parallel to
other freedpeople moving back to places from which they had been sold:  the
primary of kinship.  The place--plantation, farm, even saw mill--that was
perceived as the locus of family served as a magnet for those near and far
and may even have been sacralized in a certain sense;  the places of
baptism, the resting place of the ancestors.  The experience of diaspora
from the South has on the whole not been an easy experience for most
African-Americans.  What was once called "homecoming," when those who had
moved North return in the late summer for revival, family gatherings,
clearing the ancestral grave sites have not died, they have just been
renamed family reunions.  While some of these reunions take place in the
North, they are much more likely to take place in the South.  For the older
generation, alas of which I am a part, if you were born in the South it is
quite likely that you will be return south to the ancestral graveyard if
there is one.
    Moreover, African-Americans were truly farmers.  Farming for them in the
19th century was not chiefly a commercial proposition it was more, it was a
way of life.  The most violent and thoroughly political memoirs we have of
rural black people--I am thinking of All God's Dangers: the Life of Nate
Shaw--also functions as a pastoral.  Shaw accepted farming as his destiny
and tried to make as good a living as possible for his family in
east-central Alabama.  As late as the 1880s, African-Americans constituted
one of America's most rural ethnic groups.  By the 1980s, that demographic
pattern had been reversed.
    Certainly a merchantile sense, a capitalist sense penetrated the black
community but a somewhat more communal sense prevailed and prevails among
most African-Americans.  The work ethic of the craft worker is much stronger
among blacks, I would argue, that the ethic of investment and management.
But this is chiefly a guess on my part and sociological data about a rapidly
changing community may overturn this latter surmise.

Harold S. Forsythe