From:
Constantine Gutzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 11:30:24 -0500
It is an interesting question whether President Monroe would have signed
legislation denying Missourians the right to decide this matter for
themselves.  Even signing on to the MO/ME pairing and the Thomas amendment
put him in very bad odor in Virginia, and although the early presidents only
used the veto over constitutional issues, Jefferson was musing at the time
about the supposed unconstituitonality of the proposed congressional
determination of this issue.  (As Michael Holt has pointed out, the
"Missouri Compromise" wasn't really a compromise if you consider the highly
sectional voting in the US House.)
Constantine Gutzman