From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2007 09:14:34 -0400
James,

You can certainly aspite to be one of the committees that review and revis
the SOLs from time to time. The history SOLs were supposed to be revised
every 3-5 years, but I noted when I checked to see if there was a revision I
needed to comform to, that they haven't been revised since 2001, that is now
more than five years, and they are overdue.

Get some teaching experience under you belt, continue your scholarship in
the areas of history that excite you, learn how to bring your knowledge to
your students around and among the SOLs. And, make it a point to get to know
your department heads in the DOE and make yourself known to them, and the
fact that you would like to be part of a revision of the SOLs. It can
happen. Those who make noise are the ones who can spearhead the  movement to
update the SOLs. As I said, they are overdue for a revision. To keep such
objectives appropriate, they must be revised on a regular basis to keep them
from becoming stagnant.

Without looking it up, I think it is in 2nd grade that children explore the
Native American culture. Your knowledg of the Eastern Woodland Indians could
be invaluable to updating what the children are learning with the new
archeological and living history experiences! You probably have access to
some historians who are experts in the field that you could shephard into
helping update this part of the SOLs. The SOLs will defy their purpose if
they are not kept updated on a regular basis to incorporate new information
and open children's eyes to new possibilities in the study of history.

You go, guy!

Anne
Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert